Tuesday 6 August 2013

[WoW] #WoWScreenshotADay - catching up, 1 to 5

Tycertank is running a screenshot competition! Naturally, being a keen photographer, I figured this was right up my alley, so I’m gonna play along. We’re up to day 6 so far, so first of all here’s my backlog for the first 5 days – I’ll put the current day in a separate post.

Each day’s screenshot must be based on the given theme. Click the images to see larger versions.

Day 1: The letter ‘N’

Nordrassil
Nordrassil, the World Tree.

Hard to really do it justice in a screenshot – you really have to fly around it to get a sense of just how enormous it is! I remember watching a preview video of Cataclysm and marvelling at the countless rooty branches and the complex, 3D nature of the tree.

Day 2: Incomplete

Valgarde
Valgarde, as seen upon first arrival in Northrend, still under construction.

I love me some vrykul, especially the carved wooden dragon heads. I think Blizzard did a great job with the ‘looming, malevolent fortress’ thing in Wrath of the Lich King.

Day 3: Skyline

Borean Tundra
Borean Tundra, looking north-west from Valiance Keep towards Warsong Hold.

More Northrend. Another thing Blizzard nailed with Wrath is the atmosphere – the sky, the fog, the ambient sounds – it all combines to really draw you in. I also have a soft spot for beautiful barren landscapes, and Borean Tundra hits it perfectly.

Day 4: Fresh

Fresh character
A fresh character.

The experience you get when you first jump into the game, having never played it before, has come a long way from the game’s somewhat more hardcore roots, and especially since the Cataclysm overhaul. Still, I had to specifically disable all my addons to get this screenshot, as my normal UI looks almost nothing like the stock one.

Day 5: Early

Mulgore morning
Mulgore morning.

Of all the original starting zones, I think the tauren one is probably the most appealing and the prettiest, as like Borean Tundra its wide-open plains stir something in my heart.


There you go, my first five screenshot-a-day entries!

No comments:

Post a Comment